Tuesday, November 17, 2009

GCA #66 - Grab a Mask!!


Hello all!! I am so sorry that I wasn't able to post the newest GCA until today. Life just got in the way for a few days.

The challenge for this week is to use the MASKING technique on whatever it is you create. When you click on the link it will take you to the SCS tutorial for masking. This was one of the first techniques I learned as a new stamper, and did I ever say WOW!!

Basically, you need a piece of copy paper or a post it note, to use as your mask. You want to be careful with the images you choose to mask, as you will be cutting out a copy of that image.
For my sample I simply used a 1 3/4" circle punched out of a post-it note. When you do that make sure you have some of the sticky part on your mask. Or you can use removable adhesive.

Since I was going for the look of a wreath on here, I placed my circle mask in the center of the card and then began stamping my image around the circle to create the wreath. I used the snowflake stamp from Berry Christmas, in Old Olive, currently in the Holiday mini. There is a wreath stamp with this set, but I was going for a larger wreath and something a little different. I think I achieved what I wanted. Once I had stamped enough images, I pulled up my mask to check the end result. It needed to have few more images stamped, so I put the mask back down and continued stamping. It's that easy!

To finish the wreath I stamped the holly leaves in Certainly Celery on Certainly Celery card stock. The berries were punched from Melon Mambo with the 1/4" circle punch. I just layered the leaves and berries on until I got the result I wanted.

Now for the rest of the colors on my card, anyone who has come by my blog around Christmas, or knows me, knows how I LOVE to use non-traditional colors for Christmas cards!! This card is no exception. The card base is Shimmery White with a layer of Melon Mambo and then Shimmery White over that. This card actually uses only two colors, plus white, yet the impact those colors make is wonderful.

I used the wonderful new Melon Mambo polka dotted gg, with one piece turned over and the ruffles showing the polka dots. I used a Filigree brad with a pink (fire) circle rhinestone brad in the center. The sentiment is stamped onto Shimmery White and punched out with the Word Window punch and layered on the Old Olive piece punched with the Modern Label. The sentiment panel is popped up with dimensionals.

So, the challenge this week is to create a card, scrapbook page, or project using the masking technique. Upload your creation to either your blog or to an online gallery and post a link to your creation to this blog entry by November 21, 2009 at 12 midnight. I will choose the winner the next day. If you upload your card to SCS, PaperCraft Planet, Stampin' Addicts or Stamp TV, please put GCA66 in your keywords. That way everyone can see all of the wonderful creations at once!

Even if you can't make the drawing deadline, PLEASE feel free to participate in the challenges and upload your creations at any time. I would love to see it! And yes, my challenge is open to everyone who visits, even if you live outside the US!

Happy Stamping!!!

~~~Ann~~~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara Bird said...

Ann, LOVE the wreath. Beautiful.

Barb Bird