Sunday, August 10, 2008

Getting Creative with Ann #4 - Heat Embossing

Hello everyone!!! This week for the GCA were are focusing on Heat Embossing!! So get out your heat guns and embossing powders to create some beautiful cards!! This technique was the first one I learned as a new stamper and I still remember the awe I felt when that embossing powder melted and created that beautiful shine on my image. My heat tool was my first "major" stamping purchase!!! Oh the early days!!

I still love to heat emboss and do it frequently. Whether I am embossing only my sentiment, main image or several images on my card I always love the way it takes my card up just a notch!
My samples for you are an "oldie but goodie" and scrapbook page I submitted to SU! for Convention M&T helpers (I wasn't chosen : - ( )! My son borrowed my camera for the weekend so I am pulling from my files to use as my samples!!!

I had extras from M & T kits we could order after convention 2006 and have played around to use them up. This is actually a modified version of the card from convention. I used white craft on the flower and embossed in white ep, added another circle to the center image and stitched around it with the gel pen, and used Old Olive for the Circle of Friendship saying instead of black. The black from the original was too *out there* for me. And finally I added a sentiment at the bottom.

I really like using my chipboard and and the possibilities are endless as to what you can do with it!!! Embossing on chipboard makes your embossed image stand out even more!!! Please note: You DO NOT have to use chipboard on your creation!


My scrapbook page uses subtle heat embossing to highlight certain elements. Both of the chipboard flowers are inked up, covered in Versamark and clear embossed. Honestly, I can't remember what the colors are!!

On the sentiment panel, I stamped the sentiment first, then I overstamped the fern image in Versamark and used clear embossing powder. I like doing this just to give a highlight of an image without overwhelming the main image.

My favorite, and go to embossing powder, is Clear. You can do so much with one jar of clear embossing powder, Versamark and any color of ink!!! You do not need to have pigment or craft ink to emboss with. As long as you have a Versamark pad, you're good to go!!


Here's how it works:

1. Stamp your image in the dye ink of your choice.

2. Stamp immediately onto your Versamark pad - (Your pad will get messy doing this, but it DOES NOT impact the Versamark ink for future stamping!!!)

3. Stamp your image directly onto your cardstock.

4. Cover with clear embossing powder and heat!

How simple is that?!?!


So get busy with your ideas, get out your heat tool and CREATE!!!!

To be entered in the challenge drawing, make a card with the listed technique, upload it either to your blog, or to an online gallery and post a link to your card to this blog entry as a comment by August 15, 2008 at 12 midnight. I will choose the winner through a random number generator and post the next day. Even if you can't make the drawing deadline, PLEASE feel free to participate in the challenge and upload your creations at any time. I would love to see it!If you upload your card on SCS, please put GCA4 (NO SPACE IN BETWEEN GCA AND 4) in the keyword section. That way everyone can look at all of the creations at once!


Happy Stamping & Embossing!!!


~~~Ann~~~

3 comments:

StampinCathy said...

Hey Ann,
I love embossing too! Heat and dry, cuz it gives texture to the cards and I too love to watch it heat up.
Here are my cards:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1014442?nocache=1

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1014443

Thanks and have a great and creative week.

The life of an ordinary girl said...

Ann,

Joined in the challenge again this week - I don't really care so much for what I made but it is alright. My link is
www.starstampers.blogspot.com
Thanks
Brandy

The life of an ordinary girl said...

Ann,

Since I didn't care to much for the box I made earlier, I created another one - thanks for making me challenge myself in being more creative.
Brandy

www.starstamers.blogspot.com