Friday, July 5, 2013
Hello all!!! I really must get back in the hang of posting on my blog! I have so many creations to share, but it seems like life just gets in the way!
What I have to share with you today is a burlap topiary. I made this project as one of the 3d items for the Artisan Award Design Team contest through Stampin' UP! Unfortunately, I was not chosen as a finalist, but now I do get to show off my projects that I submitted!!
This is a double ball topiary, pre-made, that I cut flowers from the Fun Flowers die out of burlap. I used four different shades of burlap, 2 dark shades and 2 vanilla shades. The center of the flowers have smaller burlap flowers in contrasting colors and then centers cut from our now retired fabric. All of the flowers were attached with straight pins and then covered with the flower centers so you can't see the pins. I have NO idea how many flowers I cut, but I DO know that I had burlap dust everywhere!!! And was sneezing my head off!!
The jar was painted with plain white craft acrylic paint that was tinted with Pool Party re-inker. There is two coats inside to give it a nice thick coat. I kept the embellishments outside simple, since I wanted the focus to be on the topiary.
Of all the projects I did, this one was my favorite. And took me the longest to complete too!! Probably about 3 full days if I added it all up, but it was worth it in the end, even if I didn't win. I just hope to see it on display at convention.
Thanks for looking!!!'