Sunday, January 18, 2009

GCA #25 - Ever Heard of Scraplings??


Hello everyone!!! This week for the GCA we are focusing on using scraps to create our cards! Specifically we are making scraplings!!! What are scraplings you ask? Well, here is an explanation of what these cute little creations are!!

Scraplings are normally 1.25” x 4.25” because they are often made from the off cuts we get when we make a square card (4.25” square) from a piece of card that is 4.25” x 5.5”. However, your scraplings may be a little wider depending on what you were working on at the time.

SCS just hosted Virtual Stamp Night this past weekend, and one of the challenges was to create scraplings! To see tons of samples to get your creative juices flowing, check out this gallery.

The key to making scraplings is to use as many scraps from your stash as possible!! All of my samples were made with scraps either on my craft table, or out of my scrap stash.


On the two shorter scraplings I used an extra piece of Confetti Cream for the base, Tangerine Tango, Kiwi Kiss and a piece of Choc. Chip textured embossed with the embossing folder "Bird Call". The sample with the bird on it was made by using a scrap of Haiku dsp through the CB and then cutting out the bird and overlaying on the panel. The second sample uses scraps of Haiku dsp with my MS butterfly and branch punches. Both of these measure 2" x 4 1/4".

My third sample uses a strip left over from Riding Hood Red textured 12 x 12 cardstock. This scrapling measures 1 1/2" x 5 1/2". I then used scraps of Pink Pirouette textured and Shimmery White for the front. The hearts are stamped on RHR, Pink Pirouette and Choc. Chip textured scraps and punched out with the new 3 hearts punch from SU! This punch is part of the Love You Much bundle as well as the heart stamps. These are actually leftover from a shoebox swap I was in on Friday night!! Some are popped up with dimensionals and I added three crystal rhinestones for some bling!

To be entered in the challenge drawing, make a scrapling card using as many scraps from your stash as possible, upload it either to your blog, or to an online gallery and post a link to your card to this blog entry as a comment by January 23, 2009 at 12 midnight. I will choose the winner through a random number generator and post the next day.

Even if you can't make the drawing deadline, PLEASE feel free to participate in the challenge and upload your creations at any time. I would love to see it!If you upload your card on SCS, or Paper Craft Planet, please put GCA25(NO SPACE IN BETWEEN GCA AND 25) in the keyword section. That way everyone can look at all of the creations at once! If you've been waiting to join in the fun, jump on in and have some fun!!

And now for the REALLY fun part!!! To celebrate the 25th GCA, I will be giving away a slightly bigger stampin goodie package than normal!!! As soon as I have it put together, I'll post a pic!!


Happy Stamping!!!


~~~Ann~~~

7 comments:

StampinCathy said...

Wow I can't believe the will be the 25th one. I just love your scraplings and this will be a fun challenge.

StampinCathy said...

Ann I just love to make these. I have plenty of scraps to make these all day. LOL
Here is the link to my scraplings:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1201993?cat=500&ppuser=66979

Anonymous said...

Very fun-I love using up scraps!

Also, my prize goodies came in the mail a few days ago. Love them! Thanks so much for all the great contests you do!!

The life of an ordinary girl said...

Ann,
Your scrapplings are great - I got busy this week and totally forgot to get mine done - I will finish it up and add it sometime this coming week and join in number 26 with everyone.
Brandy

Anonymous said...

These scraplings are wonderful! What a wonderful way to use up scraps. TFS!
smiles,Deena

Unknown said...

Hi Ann I hope you dont mind but the try it on Tuesday challenge has linked this page to our theme this week as you have such a good explanation and examples of scraplings xx janet

PatR said...

Hi Ann, thanks for your fabulous post and wonderful examples. It has been so useful for us at Try it on Tuesday this week and as Janet said hope you don't mind us linking your blog. Thank you xx